Thursday, August 7, 2008

Clothing

Okay, I couldn't resist. The computer is not packed away and I am working my way through eons of laundry. Yes, I know, eons is a way of measuring time, but it is a very long time and I feel like I have been doing laundry forever. Which brings me to today's topic. Clothing.

I have learned in the past few years, that the least amount of clothes you can get by on is the best number to have. Keep your wardrobe simple and it will in turn simplify all sorts or laundry routines. The fewer clothes you have, the fewer loads of laundry it takes to catch up. Of course, the kids tend to run out of underwear faster, but I think they also might learn how to do their own laundry at a younger age. (Today I went through my 5 year old son's underpants bin. He had 30 pairs of underwear, and that didn't count the basket he had just brought down this morning that was in the wash. What on earth does a boy need THIRTY pairs of underwear for? I really don't know. But he does not value bringing his clothes down, because he has an endless supply of clean underpants.) I am having a very fun time paring down all the clothes to necessities and packing away only my very favorites for younger siblings. Of course it helps to know that there is only one kid I can really save clothes for.


On to amusing observation time. This morning my husband and I were doing a little perusing about a store as we were alone and that doesn't happen too much. We decided to check out a few clearance racks of these ridiculus t-shirts. One shirt had printed on the front "Made in the USA" in big letters. (Oh how cute. I guess if you honeymoon in the virgin Islands and nine months later have a baby, you can't put this shirt on your kid.) Anyhow, curiousity got the best of me. I checked the tag. Huh. Made in Ecuador. I laughed out loud in the store. And then there was the pink camo tee that had the word "Peace" on it. Is this some form of silent protest? Because surely the child wearing it have no clue as to the irony of this. Camoflouge, an invention to help hide and often protect the men and women fighting for our country, often with big guns and bullets flying, is bespeckled with a word such as "Peace". This did not make me laugh. It makes me ponder the meaning of war. So I wonder if this is simply some clothing designers protest to put on my six year old, or some idiot who switched some buttons at the print factory. Either way, it is thought provoking.

No comments: