Friday, July 18, 2008

Progress Report

I spent about 4 hours out in the shed again today. I had one kid home and three at Grandma's house. I pitched 4 bags of trash, sent a large box, a medium box and a bag to Goodwill. Whee! Go me!

I also started an Ebay pile, but I'm not sure I want to do it. I got a scale, so I won't loose my shirt to shipping. I don't know if it is worth the hassle of listing everything. It's all odds and ends, but collectibles as well. Then there are the fees for listing. And the packaging. I just wonder if it is worth it. It's worth a try.

Then there is the stuff that is too big to sell on Ebay, the stuff that would be a pain in the rear to send. Like the skis. And a portable dishwasher, and a drafting table. Do I have a yard sale? Do I post them on craigslist? I don't like having to think about getting rid of stuff. That is the number one reason why I did not want to have another yard sale. It's hard to watch people go through your stuff. It's hard to have to let it go again. I like Goodwill drops for this very reason. Once I have decided it is leaving, there is no hesitation. It goes. There is no second chance, it is gone. There is the occasional pang of guilt and grief that eventually I reason myself out of. How can I justify keeping everything? I can't! It's amazing how much stuff I have, that I was never able to keep up with, that never found a home in my home. I don't like thinking about where it all has to go, I just want it gone so I don't have to go over it again and again in my head. What have I done? How can I abandon all these things? Oh the guilt of it! But they are just things. JUST THINGS. They have no heart, they have no feelings and there are millions more just like them.

Now as for the art work I have created in years past, well that is different. I think I am going to have to address that sooner or later. I am postponing the inevitable for now though, distracting myself with inanimate objects with no life of their own. Art is different. Art was created and in a way nurtured. Art is a form of cataloging my life. Aye. I have a lot left out there.

No comments: