Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Junk!

Well today we are back to the good ol' fashioned junk. Of the physical nature. Today Grandma (my MIL) took the kids for the day. So what did I do? I headed out to the studio after treating myself to McDonald's breakfast. And I put in a good 4 hours worth of work which resulted in 3 bags of miscellaneous stuff to Goodwill, 1 bag of shirts to Grandma for the barn and one bag of trash. Yipee! That's 5 less bags of crap that I will have to move. I'm excited.

Among some of the things that took a trip down the road were some clothes. There was a hanging storage wardrobe that had a few dresses and jackets in it. It was interesting to look at the dresses. All of them were given to me by two people. My mother and my mother-in-law. It was rather amusing to really look at these dresses and realize I didn't really like them much. Why? Well, for starters I didn't even pick them out. They were all gifts. Second, they were basically dresses that these two women would wear if they wore my size. It was a revelation of sorts. I have been walking in the dresses of dreams of my mother(and in-law). So did I keep the dresses? NOPE. Away they went. Now, granted, they are nice dresses. Well made, somewhat of a classic look to them. But they are not MY style. I haven't found my style yet, but I do know what it isn't. And it isn't polyester power skirt suits. And it isn't corduroy with pleated bell skirts and straight waists. Nosiree. I like a flowing skirt. I like lighter colors. And perhaps a scoop neck. Yes, that is what I like. I did keep some skirts because I am going to need some nursing (i.e. breastfeeding) friendly church attire in a few months.

That was my revelation today. Please, ladies and gentlemen, do yourselves the favor of picking out your own wardrobe. Don't feel guilt for not liking something you didn't pick out. You need to know who you are, and shopping for your own clothes is a way of doing that. My favorite clothes are the few I have actually bought for myself, by myself. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you are comfortable in your own skin. It is amazing how collected you will feel when you are wearing clothes that you like. You can't pretend, because you dressed yourself. It is so very liberating when you are not living someone else's vision of who you are.

Give yourself permission to be yourself.

No comments: