Wednesday, September 26, 2007

My Dream

I have a vision of what I want my house to look like. I know what I want to do in my home. I have an idea of how I can be a more effective member of my household. My current lifestyle is not supporting living the dream.

I watch shows about hoarders and I shudder. Is that going to be me in a few years? How does is get that bad? Does my house look like that already, and I am in denial?

I've tried a few things, but am not motivated to try anymore. I don't want to follow anymore rules. I don't want to have stacks of routines to do, and zones to stick to. The silly thing is that I love organizing. I love to wonder through those stores loaded with cute and practical things to organize your stuff. Even though I am not particularly fond of Flylady (the system, not Marla. Marla is a wonderful lady with a huge heart who has done wonders for millions) I know there is a resounding truth in her mantra "You cannot organize clutter." Clutter is really clutter. You cannot organize it into oblivion, you must dispose of it.

And so I look around myself and size up my opponent. I don't work to make money right now. I am working on a much bigger project (ahem, 4 kids under the age of 7). So I size up the adversary of my dream. I could stand to make some money from all this junk. That would help with the clutter of debt hanging over us. But is it worth it? How much money can I stand to make and how much work will it take? I could have a yard sale, but I'm tired of nagging my hardworking hunk of a man to clean out the garage. I have no idea where to start in that department. It is mostly his stuff. And stuff that belongs down at the shop where he works. We've owned our home for 3 years now and the only time the car got put in the garage was when there was the threat of an impending hail storm.

Back to my dream. I need a clean and efficient home. I do not have the time nor the inclination to keep up with so much stuff. How much can I simplify? How much can I get rid of with no one asking where it went? And the shed. Oh my. The shed. That is a big problem. We have a storage shed out back. It's about 24ft X 15ft and it is FULL. Of stuff.

So I started this blog with the intent of journaling my experience of paring down the mountain of consumerism that is drowning me. Tomorrow? Assessing the junk.

No comments: